Re: [TCLUG:18622] I need a tape backup solution...

>Then what about software??? Would I need something like BRU? could
>some scripts be written to use CPIO (something else I have not used
>yet).
	I use tar for my backups; because
a. it was easy to learn
b. it will back up my SMB mounts (unlike dump)

cpio is probably a better program, tho.
I've heard afio recommended over cpio; because it supposedly won't
lose the whole archive if one file becomes corrupted. (unlike tar or
cpio)
	from what the afio man page says, it's also a bit more
oriented towards doing backups; but I haven't really had a chance to
play with it.

>Since this is for my home network consisting of Win9x,NT,Mac and Linux
>boxes, I have found that Taper works well with samba mapped drive
>backups.  I have found them fairly reliable and easy to use.
	I had bad experiences with Taper under RH 6.0. it crashed
constantly; and the User Interface was not a significant improvement
over the command line. I took a couple of hours (and asked some
questions of the list), learned tar and cpio, and am much the happier
for it.

Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	         Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com       (763) 682-1091