Re: [TCLUG:18474] Internet to your Sailboat (was: mp3 pirate)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Philip C Mendelsohn wrote:

> I really am not trying to turn this into a comm. list, but I was under the
> impression that ELF *could* be received underwater -- that's the whole
> point of using something with such low bandwidth anyway.  They come up
> when the want to stick an antenna out of the water and go faster.

Yeah, sorry to everyone who's not interested!

Honestly, I'm not an expert on this. Like I said, I only know about this
from Tom Clancy books, so you may well be right -- or there may be a
maximum depth where the ELF signals can be recieved reliably.

All I can remember is that the subs in Clancy's books would come up to X
depth (but not the surface), then extend these huge antennas that were
like 100 yards long behind them...

> Lottery:    a tax on people who are bad at math

Love this saying; wish there were more taxes on dumb people. ;)

Luke