Re: [TCLUG:18690] A couple of questions

> 1.  Would linux be a viable solution for a server in a cross-platform
> workstation setting?  (Both as a file server and a mail server)

Yes.
In particular, file and print services can be provided via Samba

> 2.  What version or flavor would you recommend for a server?

One you can identify with and learn to use/support given the resources
(time, personnel) you have to devote. Keep this point in mind as you
consider the information you will likely get about specific distributions.

> 3.  Are there any additional hardware requirements that we should be
> aware of?

Most modern equipment I've found to be well supported. Hardware
compatability lists exist (sorry, can't point you directly at one now).
In terms of system resources, I think in general Linux requires less in
the way of resources.

Andy