Re: [TCLUG:18690] A couple of questions

As much as I dislike the distribution, I think it would be a wise
choice to go with a Redhat or a SuSE (or maybe TurboLinux).

Why?  It's not because they're technically better than, say,
Slackware, or Debian - it's actually comes down to commercial
support, in two different ways.

One is that Redhat and SuSE offer technical service contracts,
(with SLAs, yada yada) - you just won't find those as easily for
a distribution like Slackware or Debian.

Also, a lot of the commercial products are tailored for one, or two
distributions.  Although it would indeed be nice to see companies
like Oracle supporting all 4e16 Linux distributions, it's just not
going to happen.  Commercial companies are more likely, again,
to go with a Redhat/SuSE/TurboLinux.

I'm not saying that those distributions are any more technically
advanced than another, and I'm not saying that the various
distributions don't have cool things going for them (like apt),
but commercial support is definitely something an unbiased
business should strongly consider.

Nick Reinking