Re: [TCLUG:18772] Problem with NFS mounting form

"Gabe Turner (officer)" wrote:

> You need to make sure that you have nfs3 client and server support compiled into your linux kernel.  They are not on by default.
>
> Gabe
>

> > For quite a few years I've been happily NFS mounting filesystems
> > all over the place, and never had a problem.  Consequently I am
> > an experienced idiot...
> >
> > At any rate, I just mounted a Solaris 2.6 filesystem from a Linux
> > 2.2.12-20smp system, and only 40% of the subdirectories are
> > showing the files and directories that are there when I do an
> > ls from the linux box.
> >
> > Anybody have any experience with this problem - I've read a
> > few FAQ's and not gotten any hints...
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kent

Thanks for the quick response....

Are there any options to make the Solaris box more compliant?  I've been
doing some testing and I'm finding some of my older UnixWare boxes also
show the same problem.

As an aside, this kind of failure with no warning is pretty scary.  To the casual
glance it looked like the filesystem had mounted cleanly - all the top level directories
were showing, and the first couple of subdirectories showed the expected files.  It took
a bit of effort to determine there was a problem.  I would much rather have a good
dramatic fail with horns and trumpets, rather than a quiet partial failure.

Ack,
Kent