Re: [TCLUG:18811] Debian PCMCIA net install

On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Ben Lutgens wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 06:25:43PM -0500, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> >On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Ben Lutgens wrote:
> >
> >> When you select install kernel modules it'll prompt you for the drivers floppy
> >> You might just wanna get a NE2k compatible card or some such (pretty cheap).
> >
> >I thought I had to set up the PCMCIA stuff *before* the kernel modules if I
> >want to do a network install.
> >
> hmmm, you kinda got me stumped. THe only time I had to use floppies was on a
> server with scsi drives only.
>
> You might have to install the bare minimum stuff (kernel and kernel build
> essentials and pcmcia-cs package then pick and choose via dselect (apt method)
> later on. smell smell, same same.

I haven't done it with your particular PCMCIA NIC, but have with
another.  It's a little goofy, but it does work.

Yes, you install from rescue and root, then config PCMCIA services
first.  The, it will prompt you to load modules, and i found that it
sometimes is necessary to load the 3com driver before anyothers.  Also,
you may need to enter the shell on another console and add a route using
ifconfig.

I don't remember the rest of the gory details, but if the above doesn't
help, ask again and mention what specific steps you took.  I'm sure it's
just something like doing things in the wrong sequence.  For all their
strengths, Debian could document some of that stuff better.

Cheers,

Phil M

--
Lottery:    a tax on people who are bad at math