Making LILO work with Reiserfs

> Okay.  I just tossed a 15-day uptime for the sake of education.

Jun 14 14:33:57 localhost kernel: Checking ReiserFS transaction log
(device 03:01) ...
Jun 14 14:33:57 localhost kernel: Warning, log recovery starting on
readonly filesystem
Jun 14 14:33:57 localhost kernel: Replayed 72 transactions in 2 seconds

My journaling just got a test. I blew the breaker, killing the 120 day
uptime on my firewall. :P

Why is it complaining the filesystem is readonly? Should* I be mounting
a reiserfs root read only on boot?

> anyways, I cp'd /boot/vmlinuz to /, then edited /etc/lilo.conf to have an
> entry pointing to the kernel in /.
>
> run lilo, reboot, type 'test', it loads the kernel from reiser just fine.
>
> The way lilo loads the kernel is filesystem independent.  It matters nil
> what filesystem lilo's on so long as it can get info from the system it's
> run from about which blocks need to be loaded to get to the kernel.  Have at
> 'em! =)

The kernel isn't all you have to worry about. Here's what I get without
notail:

root@localhost:/$ lilo -l -v
LILO version 21, Copyright 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda1
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz
Hole found in map file (alloc_page)
root@localhost:/$

Anyway, to make it work, you have to remount the filesystem with tails
disabled, rewrite the files in /boot, install lilo, then re-enable
tails. Well, you don't have to, but then whats the point of running
reiserfs? ;) Like so:

root@localhost:/$ mount -o remount,notail /
root@localhost:/$ cp -r /boot /tmp
root@localhost:/$ mv -f /tmp/boot/* /boot
root@localhost:/$ lilo -l -v
LILO version 21, Copyright 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda1
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz
Added Linux *
Boot other: /dev/hda2, loader /boot/chain.b
Added doze
/boot/boot.0301 exists - no backup copy made.
Writing boot sector.
root@localhost:/boot$ mount -o remount /

Ta da.