Re: [TCLUG:18863] Mandrake 7.1

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> How do you boot ReiserFS from LILO?
>
> SUSE claims that it is not yet bootable because LILO does not support
> ReiserFS.

Okay.  I just tossed a 15-day uptime for the sake of education.

Here's a short piece of sys info:

/dev/hda3 on / type reiserfs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)

I would use ReiserFS on /boot, but mkreiserfs complains that its too small ;)

anyways, I cp'd /boot/vmlinuz to /, then edited /etc/lilo.conf to have an
entry pointing to the kernel in /.

run lilo, reboot, type 'test', it loads the kernel from reiser just fine.

The way lilo loads the kernel is filesystem independent.  It matters nil
what filesystem lilo's on so long as it can get info from the system it's
run from about which blocks need to be loaded to get to the kernel.  Have at
'em! =)

-David

ps: Lilo version:

LILO version 21, Copyright 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger