From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <carls@agritech.com>
To: <tclug-list@mn-linux.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: [TCLUG:19263] New monitor

>It is a Gateway FPD1800.
>21 inch monitor
>1280x1024 at 32 bits is the maximum that I can get it to but I'm sure that
>is can do better than that.

hmm, i can't seem to find specs for this monitor anywhere on gateway's
site (which just redirects you to necx anyway).
I don't see *any* 21" monitors (a few 20.1" tho); and none above
1280x1024 (except for SGI's).

I'm not doubting you; I just want to know more. :)

<rant>
are other people out there annoyed like me, at the lack of progress
the monitor companies have made towards bigger desktops? I'm sure
there's some real engineering problems with building high-res CRTs
bigger than 21"; and flat panel yields probably drop off exponentially
with larger sizes; but it's like they aren't even *trying*. I've seen
at least one company welding 4 flat panels seamlessly together; but
they were only using 640x480 panels.

is there a conspiracy among the monitor companies to keep us cramped
on these tiny 'airplane trays'? ('desktop' is a bit too generous a
term most of the time). ;>
</rant>

Carl Soderstrom