Re: [TCLUG:15037] Station Wagon Full of Tapes

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 12:17:53PM -0800, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> >Anyway, the issue there is not so much bandwidth as latency ...
>         someone told me the story of when MRNet(?) moved from one building
> to another; they basically bought a copy of their main machine; duplicated
> the original on it; then moved the new machine (disks and all) across town
> in a truck.
>         someone actually caluculated the bandwidth and latency of that move;
> and the figures were of course, suitably huge. :)
>
> in my introductory networking class; we calculated the bandwidth of 3
> CDs in a fed-ex mailer. turns out it beats a T-1 line over a 24 hour
> period. :)

	Actually, I just calculated it out.  A T1 is 1.5 megabits/sec.
Doing the calculation:

((1.5 * 1000 * 1000) / 8 * 60 * 60 * 24) / (650 * 1024 * 1024) =
23.76849834735576923076

	So, that's 24 CDs.

	Of course, from the quantum teleportation article I read in this
month's Scientific American, there are actually 2 bits of classical
information per atom, which is a pretty astronomical amount of
information for anything that isn't of microscopic size.  This actually
seems kinda low to me.  I think they glossed over some issues in that
article.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature