Re: [TCLUG:23185] using the Unix version of messenger...

--- Andy Zbikowski <andyzb@ltiflex.com> wrote:
> Things you could try:
> nslookup ns.yahoo.com
> should return
> Address:  204.71.177.33
>
> nslookup 204.71.177.33
> should return
> Address:  204.71.177.33
>
> If not, check /etc/resolv.conf for and make sure
> your ISPs DNS servers are
> in there. Make sure there aren't any references to
> ns.yahoo.com in
> /etc/hosts.
>
> Are you running IPMASQ to share the phone line or is
> it a "Manny, get off
> the phone I need to check my e-mail!" type deal.
>
> Are you running Bind locally? If you are, stop bind
> and see what happens.
>
> Last thought, try the Java client and see if it
> chokes with a similar error.
> Everybuddy supports the Yahoo!Messagner stuff as
> well. Gabber might also.
> GTKYahoo, Gyach, Imici Messenger, and KYahoo seem to
> be other options
> (freshmeat.net is your friend.)
>
> --
> Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (PH)  763-428-9119
> (EX:132)
> LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (FAX)  763-428-9126
> 21801 Industrial Blvd       | (PCS) 612-306-6055
> Rogers, MN  55374           | (WEB)
> http://www.ltiflex.com

> For additional commands, e-mail:
tclug-list-help@mn-linux.org
Andy,
thank you for your reply... it is a basic 'my turn to
go on situation at this time... got a twist cable the
other day, am hoping in a few days to have a direct
cable net between us using this Linux box as a
server/firewall... with an eye on setting up an old
server box we are working on upgrading as the
server/firewall and the two boxes we are running now
as workstations off the server.
I will try your suggestions. Really appreciate the
help... I thought I was just lost in the 'fill in the
blank, but don't expect any straight answer...
catagory'.
Manny