Linmodems...

Call me crazy... but have built and taught people the
particulars of PC board assembly and component
function (on a basic scale, non-engineering)... It
seems to me that some basic design features are extant
on certain boards that carry the modem hardware...
(the question is whether or not it requires a
reprogramming sequence of the chipset in any way... in
which case I would be SOL at this time without
particulars...)
Isn't it possible to mount jumpers at the existing
jumper points and (without intent of resale, or
such... but just to show it can be done on the
individual level.) create a hardware controllable
modem from a former "software controlled modem"??? Or
am I just off in left field off the board...?
(Just call me the 'refab man'... wit da plan)
Manny