Re: [TCLUG:82] Meeting Minutes

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Joseph A. Heil wrote:

> Quoting Carl Patten (patten@midas.millcomm.com):
> >
> [snip]
>
>   Those were all good topics.  But here is some food for thought.
> What kinds of problems can be solved using Linux (and the supporting
> free/open software that runs on Linux systems) and what are the
> tools used to solve those problems.  If it is a new problem we can
> brain storm a possible solution.  If it a past solved problem, someone
> could possibly give a simple synopsis of their solution to the problem.
> Don't get me wrong, as a group we need to cover the basic topics such as
> installation, maintenance, and administration, for all the newbies in
> the group to Linux, but the I believe the bigger picture of Linux should
> be on how to promote it as possible alternative solutions to the
> MS giant.  It seems to me that a big problem free/open software is most
> non-Unix people think if it is free it must work like junk.  So by using
> tclug as a platform to promote Linux systems and solutions by our hands on
> experiences, we can disprove all those Windows bigots.

I understand your concern, especially when I hear people talking about
"Microsoft Everywhere" solutions.  If you look at online forums such as
Infoworld Electric's (www.infoworld.com) you'll see that a lot of Linux
advocacy is already in progress.  That's fine, but when it turns into a
"Linux is the best! Windows NT sucks!" name-calling contest, I tune out.

Please, let's avoid being bigots ourselves.  I manage an environment
where the big servers are SCO Unix, the little servers are Linux, NT and
Netware, and the PCs are Windows 95.  As far as I'm concerned, this setup
gives everyone the most appropriate tools to get their work done.

Linux is an extremely useful and flexible tool, and you have made a good
point in that people should know how Linux can solve many problems.
That's what sells it.  I bought my copy of Red Hat Linux after reading
about a small company whose programmers wrote their own web-based voice
mail system using Linux.  Linux is making its way into the corporations,
but through the back door, courtesy of the tech people who recognize a
good solution when they see it.

What I like about this group is the chance to share the fun, useful things
we can do with Linux.  That kind of cooperative spirit is what keeps Linux
going world-wide.  The whole "Linux-vs-Microsoft" debate bugs me because
(1) it turns 100% negative very quickly, and (2) it's unconstructive.  The
Justice Department isn't going to let Microsoft take over the world, so
I'd just as soon keep monkeying with this great operating system and have
some fun.

Anyway, that's my two bits.

--
Carl Patten