RE: [TCLUG:224] RE: LUG - bash error and fat32

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Ben Kochie wrote:

> hrm.. well "vi" to view files? no way.. "less"
> my emacs/vi debate views
> vi: system file editor.. /etc/*
> emacs: code development system.. C coding
> pico: system file editor for lazy asses.. like me :)

I concur 100%, except to add that 'pico' is also great for essays and term
papers. ;)

> i don't know what you did wrong.. (or redhat did wrong) but things on your
> system just don't seem to be very happy..

He who is without /usr is indeed a sad man. I don't think it's Red Hat's
fault; they tend to stick too much stuff in, rather than skimp on the
essentials... :)

Missing /usr probably is the root of all your problems. Have fun
re-installing. :) I don't even want to think about how many times I had to
re-install before I got things right. :)

About your PnP modem: Unless you can disable the PnP 'feature' of the
modem, you can pretty much plan on not using your modem with Linux. There
is a PnP kernel module available, but its efficacy is dubious at best.

Christopher Reid Palmer : jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu : innerfire on IRC (EFNet)

Free Software Special Interest Group : acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/
Digital Media Center : www.umn.edu/dmc/