RE: [TCLUG:580] Another Newbie

for everyone out there..

i use diald to dynamically connect my computer to my ISP
it's a fairly nice way to connect.. i simply open a telnet session, or open a
web page.. or start up irc.. and it dials up.

for U of M students, i have created a simple setup for dialing in with diald

file #1: diald.conf  contains info on what modem to use.. i set it up to go
with the /dev/modem symlink
put this file in /etc (/etc/diald.conf)

file #2: connect     contains the account config for the dialer.. put your X500
name and password, and make sure you chmod the file so that it's not public
readable (chmod 640 /etc/diald/connect)
put this file in /etc/diald (/etc/diald/connect)

On 08-Jul-98 Clark Whiting wrote:
> I am a professional UNIX C/C++/Java developer for over 6 years - but I'm
> new to LINUX.  What a breath of fresh air! Once I get settled into LINUX
> (dual partition w/ Win95) I am junking my Big-Bill software.
>
> However, I seem to be having two minor problems getting my environment
> completely setup.
>
> Problem #1: I  don't know how to use my modem to attatch to my Internet
> Provider -- I have a UM account.
>
> Problem #2: I can't seem to get LINUX to talk to my new Lexmark 5800
> printer. It recognises the port - but will not print anything in either
> plain text or PS.
>
> Does anyone know of a good book (manual) that discusses these setups in
> detail so that I can work through these problems. I find it more than a
> little iritating that I have to rely on Win95 to connect to the internet
> or print something. I want that #!%^ off my hardrive -- but I can't live
> without my printer or modem.
>
> Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I'm using RedHat 4.2 - but I have 5.1 on order.
> My printer is on LPT1 with /dev/lp1 configured for lp.
> My modem is attatched as COM2 as /dev/cua0 (I believe - I am at another
> computer at the moment).
>
> many thanks.

TTYL,
        Ben Kochie (ben@intexp.com)

You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
                                        -Scott Adams

To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and
feature-poor toys.
                                        -How to tell an Engineer

connect

diald.conf