Re: [TCLUG:580] Another Newbie

Clark Whiting wrote:

<modem troubles snipped>

> Problem #2: I can't seem to get LINUX to talk to my new Lexmark 5800
> printer. It recognises the port - but will not print anything in either
> plain text or PS.

I went to www.lexmark.com and didn't find any mention of a "5800".
There's a 5700, however.

> I'm using RedHat 4.2 - but I have 5.1 on order.
> My printer is on LPT1 with /dev/lp1 configured for lp.

A-ha, another chance to troubleshoot printing problems. :-) Try this
four-
step procedure and see if it works.

(1) first let's test the port:
    cat textfile > /dev/lp1

    where textfile can be any short text file.
    If the printer responds then we will eliminate port problems for
now.

(2) examine the printer cable:
    Are you using an IEEE 1284 printer cable per Lexmark's
recommendation?
    Is it securely attached to both the printer and the PC?

(3) pretend it's a different printer:
    According to Lexmark, the 5700 can emulate a HP Deskjet 500 or 500C.
    Try using that as the Ghostscript filter instead of whatever you're
    using now.

(4) look at the HOW-TOs for printing, located in /usr/doc/HOWTO/ or
available
    via the Web.  This shows how to set up the filter for your printer,
among
    other things.

Hope this is of some assistance.

--