Re: [TCLUG:674] Adding new space

This is dangerous, so be careful. :)

A simple way to approach it would be to partition the drive so that
you
have a partition for every large directory you want to move and
create
ext2 filesystems on each. After that is done, temporarily mount the
partitions under /mnt and copy the corresponding directory to each.
After that (for safety's sake), mv /usr to /oldusr (or some other
temporary name) just so it's out of the way and easy to delete later
(but you can get it back if something goes bad). Then mkdir /usr and
modify /etc/fstab so that the ext2 filesystem for /usr (say
/dev/hdb2
maybe) is mounted at /usr. Then mount it. Do it for all the other
directories and mount them. Then, try to use the system. If it
works,
reboot and see if it still works. If so your changes are done. I
would
leave it run for a few days before deleting all the /old* directories
and
realizing your dream of extra elbow-room (disk-wise).

Another approach would be to do this with one directory and use
symlinks, but that's kind of messy and might not work well for you.

I would certainly appreciate anyone pointing out errors in my
methods
or offering constructive criticism, or anything that isn't clear
(though I
know these instructions are anything but explicit). :)

Happy day to you all,
Troy Johnson

>>> Perry Hoekstra <dutchman@mn.uswest.net> 07/15 1:43 PM >>>
Different machine, different topic...

My Linux machine at work was running out of space so I added a second
hard
drive.  I have it formatted to ext2.  Now I would like to mount it
and move
some of my larger directories over to it like /usr.  I am kind of
clueless
on how to do this.  Would I copy over my /usr directory to /dev/hdd
and
then create a mount point for /usr and add it to my fstab file?

Perry Hoekstra