Re: [TCLUG:784] hostname configuration annoyance

Christopher Reid Palmer <jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu> wrote:

 > Whenever I log in from the console or fire up an xterm, I get the
 > following error:
 >
 > hostname: Unknown host
 > hostname: Unknown host
 >
 > Furthermore, my command-line prompt should read '[chris@dusk ~ ]'
 > but instead reads '[chris@ ~ ]'. Also, Netscape sometimes poops out
 > an error whining about not being able to find the host
 > 'dusk'. However, everything works fine.

Sounds like the permissions on some host database might be set wrong.

 > Weirdly, when I login as root I don't have this problem.

This would be consistent with the permissions problem.

 > <snip>

Permissively yours,

  Jonathan

--
 /       Jonathan R. Johnson       | "Every word of God is flawless." \
 |    Minnetonka Software, Inc.    |                 -- Proverbs 30:5 |