RE: [TCLUG:1338] NFS question

> Here's a question that I've not found an answer to anywhere. Let's say I
> want to NFS mount the /usr/local directory of my server on each of the
> clients in my computer lab. Obviously, the /usr/local directory on the
> client has stuff stored there after installing RH5.1 on the clients.
> (Actually, maybe it's just empty directories, but my question remains) I
> know how to export directories from the server, but what about the
> corresponding directory on the client; does it just get overwritten by the
> NFS-mounted directory?
	[Kapoor, Nishikant]  Yes, only if you use client:/usr/local as the
mount point for the server:/usr/local. You could use any directory name on
the client side to mount any directory from the server side. Like, mount
server:/s_dir client:/c_dir
	[Kapoor, Nishikant]  Just to make it a bit more clear, if you mount
the server:/usr/local on client:/usr/local, the client:/usr/local is NOT
overwritten but actually gets 'hidden'. Once the server:/usr/local is
unmounted, you will get your client:/usr/local back.
> Do I need to do something special with the clients when I'm installing
> Linux to make sure I can safely NFS-mount directories later?
	[Kapoor, Nishikant]  Nothing special. Make sure the client has
access (export on server) to the server_dirs that he wants to mount. Be
careful in assigning read/write permissions on the mounted directories.

> Thanks for any help. BTW, I hope these frequent questions aren't boring
> everyone. Maybe someone else can learn something too.
	[Kapoor, Nishikant]  Welcome.

	[Kapoor, Nishikant]  "Managing NFS and NIS" by O'Reilly is an
excellent ref.