Re: [TCLUG:1338] NFS question

Tim Wilson <wilson@chem.umn.edu> had asked:
>Here's a question that I've not found an answer to anywhere. Let's say I
>want to NFS mount the /usr/local directory of my server on each of the
>clients in my computer lab. Obviously, the /usr/local directory on the
>client has stuff stored there after installing RH5.1 on the clients.
>(Actually, maybe it's just empty directories, but my question remains) I
>know how to export directories from the server, but what about the
>corresponding directory on the client; does it just get overwritten by the
>NFS-mounted directory?
>
>Do I need to do something special with the clients when I'm installing
>Linux to make sure I can safely NFS-mount directories later?
>
>Thanks for any help. BTW, I hope these frequent questions aren't boring
>everyone. Maybe someone else can learn something too.

Nope.  Mount points don't work like that.  While mount-points have to be
directories, the contents of the directory (if any) are unaffected (but
invisible) when there's a filesystem (NFS, ext2, etc ) mounted on the
directory.  When you unmount the filesystem, the contents (if any) become
visable again.

Hope this helps,

  \'o.O'  |        In cyberspace, no one      |  Steve Siegfried
  =(___)= |        can hear you type.         |  sos@skypoint.com