X messes up display on exiting.

Hi, I was wondering if anybody has faced this problem.
I installed RedHat 5.1 on a Thinkpad 360PE yesterday.
(It is a 486dx50 with dual scan display)
I can get X to work on it and it is not as slow as I
expected. But to be able run X I have to turn off the upper 512K
of the 1M video memory it has.

This  has something to do with it being dual scan and the adapter
using the upper 512K for some "shadow memory" or something of that sort.

Anyway there is this little utility available out there called "tpdualscan"
which
turns off the upper 512K.

I made sure I had the clock timings right by using "X -probeonly".

So X starts up fine and allows me to work with a 640x480x256 display.

When I exit X or switch to a different terminal (<Ctrl-Alt-FX> key
combination)
the horizontal and vertical frequencies seem to get halved and I end up
getting a display that is illegible in a quarter of the screen.

When I run X again in this situation (I just type startx and hit enter) it
comes up
fine and I can work but exiting from X or switching the virtual terminal
screws up
the display again.

So I am guessing that X sets the adapter to a particular set of frequencies
and
doesnot bother setting them back when it exits.

I tried using the savetextmode and restoretextmode programs that come with
the svgalib package but they donot help.

I am running the SVGA server with a wdc30 something video chip. I donot have
the
laptop with me right now so I donot remember the exact configuration
information.

Could anybody suggest on how I can debug this problem ?

Thanks,
sandipan