dev kernel

Has any one had problems installing any of the dev kernels in RedHat?  Last
night I finally got two ethernet cards working in my box running RedHat.
But I wanted to up to a dev kernel because they have a lot more support for
IP masquerading and the like which I need to masquerade my DSL connection.
So I downloaded the 2.1.126 source and compiled it.   I set the new kernel
up in LILO as "test" and booted it.  For some reason, it couldn't find the
module dependencies upon boot up, so I went and ran depmod -a and check to
see if it made modules.dep, and it had.  So I rebooted once again.  I still
got the same error and looking more closely I saw that it was looking for
modules.dep in /lib/modules/preferred/  But there is no directory by that
name on my machine.  So I rebooted, this time using my old 2.0.34 kernel,
and to my surprise, it couldn't find its module dependencies either!  I'm a
little baffled as to why installing the dev kernel wiped out my old
dependencies.  I've tried making symlinks called preferred that point to my
/lib/modules/2.1.126/ but RedHat mysteriously removes the symlink upon
bootup...  I'm new to RedHat so if I'm missing something completely
obvious, just slap me.  Oh.. genuine help would also be appreciated.. hehe

Thanx in advance

Gabe