Re: [TCLUG:2203] Unresolved Symbols After Compiling Kernel

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Scott K. Johnson wrote:

> cd /usr/src/linux
> make mrproper         # from what I understand this cleans things up a
> bit...
> make xconfig             # select stuff, etc...
> make dep
> make clean
> make zlilo
> make modules
> make modules_install
> and finally reboot the system...

Yeah -- the problem is the 'make zlilo' step. Read the
/usr/src/linux/README once again -- 'make zlilo' will save you the 'poke
/etc/lilo.conf' step *only if* you have tweaked the kernel Makefiles
correctly, which is more trouble than it's worth and more trouble than
poking lilo.conf.

So. Do everything as you did, but replace 'make zlilo' with the following
steps:

{
make zImage
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /vmlinuz.new
vi /etc/lilo.conf # tell it the filepath of your new kernel (/vmlinuz.new)
}

As the very last step, (after all compilation is done) run '/sbin/lilo'.
This is very important!

Here's a copy of my /etc/lilo.conf for reference:

# Start LILO global Section
boot=/dev/sda
#compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.
linear
read-only
prompt
timeout=100
vga = normal    # force sane state
# End LILO global section

# 2.0.35 with NI6510 but no sound
image = /vmlinuz.no-sound
root = /dev/sda2
label = Linux.no-sound

# 2.0.35 with NI6510 and sound
image = /vmlinuz.sound
root = /dev/sda2
label = Linux.sound

***

You'll then have two bootable kernels (never erase your old one!). When
you get the LILO prompt at boot, hit <TAB> to see a listing of your
kernels listed by their label in lilo.conf -- I get Linux.no-sound and
Linux.sound). Either type in the label of the kernel you want to boot or
hit <ENTER> to boot the one listed first in lilo.conf.

Christopher Reid Palmer : jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu : innerFire on IRC (EFNet)

Free Software Special Interest Group : acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/