RE: [TCLUG:2215] Free(ware) MN Initiative..

	[Schlough, Mark]

	As much as I love Free Software, and especially love watching it
kick ass, I agree and would like to point out that this letter does
indeed do a disservice to OSS advocates, but is counter to the code of
conduct outlined in the advocacy howto.

> 	At the very least, this seems a little short-sighted.
> Government computer
> use isn't limited to copies of MS Word cluttering up receptionists'
> desktops.  Servers in the police departments, tax bureaus and
> elsewhere are
> using customized systems for which no open source replacement
> currently
> exists.  OSS could take some time to produce feasible replacements for
> specialized systems which have to interact succesfully and securely
> with
> similar systems nationally or worldwide.
> 	The author seems to be of the opinion that his proposal would
> save
> taxpayers money -- and no doubt there is money to be saved by using
> Linux
> instead of NT, Sun or Novell.  But so far as I know, there is no free
> operating system capable of running on the many HP 3000s and 9000s,
> VAXes,
> and other big iron which are still cluttering up the back rooms of
> every
> department from Education to Public Works.  Chucking these systems
> unnecessarily and completely replacing the services they provide with
> brand-new systems, even ones running open source, isn't going to
> significantly reduce anybody's tax bill.  Besides, in a state which
> has had
> a massive budget surplus two years running, government cost-cutting
> doesn't
> sound to me like a huge priority -- if the state could just get its
> accounting in order, we could all be dealt a sizable tax break without
> all
> that recabling and heavy lifting.
	[Schlough, Mark]
	Not only that, but are there OSS applications that are able to
functionally replace the existing ones?  I suspect not.  Assuming this
is true, then OSS is setting itself up to be thoroughly embarrassed, by
trying to get a mandate for OSS only systems.

	[Schlough, Mark]
	I think that Linux+Samba is one of the best ways to replace
commercial software.  Because not only is it a full-fledged functional
replacement, but it outperforms native NT Server specs.  The key here is
that its a full replacement, not simply a substitute.

> 	Frankly, suggesting that the Legislature mandate Linux/OSS on
> all its
> systems, preventing individual departments from making their own
> software
> acquisition decisions, almost sounds as though it was intended to be
> taken
> as satire.  Isn't the antitrust action against MS supposed to be about
> *restoring* freedom of choice?

	[Schlough, Mark]

	I hope so :)