Re: [TCLUG:2581] Interesting Linux articles

On Sun, Dec 06, 1998 at 11:50:44AM -0600, Christopher Palmer wrote:
> [snip Linux vs. Sun articles]
>
> I've been hearing about this for a while. Even before Linux came around,
> the commercial Unix vendors were just cannibalizing each other for that
> puny bit of marketshare they collectively have. With free software kernels
> on the scene, there's just no reason to ever buy/use the commercial stuff
> (although Solaris is said to be the most stable of OSs). Maybe this will
> cause Sun and other commercial vendors to release their source, or at
> least open up Java (which would be great).

There are still plenty of reasons for larger corporations to use
Solaris instead of Linux.  Solaris can run on 64 processor machines
for example, and Linux doesn't even come close to that.  Soon that
number will be 1024 processors.  Oracle also runs very well on the
Solaris/SPARC platform, much better than on Linux.

Another thing to consider is corporations buy from Sun because
it has extremely good hardware support.  No one using Solaris on
high-end SPARC hardware is going to get too anxious to switch to
Linux on x86 anytime soon.

Of course, Linux is the best platform for workstations and low cost
servers.

--
Shawn T. Amundson
amundson@gimp.org               http://www.gimp.org/~amundson

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking