Re: [TCLUG:2623] slow telnet

The reason it takes so long is probably because it is trying to
resolve the machine you are telneting from via DNS, but can't
contact the name servers because you are not dialed in.   So it
is waiting for the DNS requests to time out.  It doesn't seem to
matter if you have this machine in the hosts file or not.

You can fix this by changing /etc/nsswitch.conf to not include
dns in the "hosts: files dns" line, if you don't DNS on the
dialup machine.  If you do, that might get kind of annoying
when you are dialed up.

There are ways to set it up without telneting into the machine,
but I haven't used any of them so I won't be much help there until
I go look more and implement something on my machines.

-Shawn