Re: [TCLUG:2546] Configuring for 2 Network Adapters

I am doing the same thing but with MediaOneExpress, the thing I am
wondering about is my surfboard router cannot go 100MB so it was pointless
to configure my 10/100 905 card.  I would assume the Netspeed is the same
way.  Besides, you will never see that kind of speed out of the internet.
Now I want my Linux box to do DHCP serving to all my other machines, I have
been told that doing that with two nics is touchy, anyone done this??

Jon

At 11:04 AM 12/9/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Did the "Reset Configuration Data" bios trick work?
>
>Peter Lukas
>
>On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Gordon Pedersen wrote:
>
>> Peter/Richard/Chris:
>>
>> Got down to nub of it last night and found that though the (stock Redhat
>> 5.1) driver would load both old and new NIC, it somehow couldn't really
>> use the new NIC.  I didn't try to figure out what did and didn't
>> work--enough fish to fry!  The driver was the first fix I tried and it
>> worked.  Thanks.  Cards load at irq 15 and 14 now; i'll test irq sharing
>> another day--probably better get it working on NT first :-).  Guess I
>> should check out the cards sheer bit-rattling performance after what
>> some have written here but that will have to wait.
>>
>> What a drag to be so close yet miss.  At least you have a good
>> connection at work (I presume).
>>
>> gp
>>
>> Peter Lukas wrote:
>> >
>> > You lucky dog, I'm about 5 feet over the limit for DSL.  :-).  IRQ
sharing
>> > is a driver issue.  Linux drivers seem to handle this without a problem,
>> > as for NT, does it handle anything without a problem?  There's a few
>> > things you can do.  If they're both PCI adapters, you should "Reset
>> > Configuration Data" in your bios.  This will allow the BIOS to undo any
>> > conflicting IRQ settings and hopefully reassign them to a non-conflicting
>> > location.  Also, you might have better success loading each adapter
driver
>> > as a module.  The problem with using 2 similar cards is that it might be
>> > tough to determine which one was loaded.  In any event, the DSL
connection
>> > isn't connected to a switch that does either 10/100 FD, so it
shouldn't be
>> > an issue.  To be safe, you can load the modules forcing the 905b to 10MB
>> > half-duplex simply by passing no options to the module as you load it.
>> > There are newer drivers usually making their way into kernels between
>> > point releases, so chances are, the driver with 2.0.35 is older than the
>> > one packaged with 2.0.36.  If all else fails, you can always pick up a
>> > nice netgear PCI 10/100 adapter for about $30.
>> >
>> > Peter Lukas
>> > Math Systems Office
>> > University of Minnesota

US West