[VANILLA-L:1299] Re: [VANILLA-L:1297] Subject Serial Numbering

Quoting Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>:

> He has listproc, which is commerical.

It is? I've been running it for quite some time. Hmm. hold on a sec
while I go look through my READMEs

Ah, I see where you might have a problem.  From the one of the READMEs

> This directory contains the ListProcessor 6.0c (Copyright 1991-93)
> mailing list management system, written by Anastasios
> Kotsikonas. Please note that although the software is distributed
> without a fee, it is not public domain. Certain restrictions apply.

> The software (and any part of its code) may not be sold for profit,
> used for profit (such as providing mailing list services for a fee),
> or be incorporated in any other software system in any form. Although
> the provided source code may be redistributed, you may only
> redistribute the original system (as it appears in this directory),
> and you may not redistribute any changes you may make, or the system
> as amended by these changes.

I take it you sell mailing list services?

> I use majordomo, which works, but is not perfect.

Ugh. I tried it once, 2+ years ago. didn't like it.  Kept crashing,
even after the bug fix that was supposed to fix it.  Listproc worked
almost out of the box and with very little attention.  Though I think
development is dead.  Its been at 6.0c for quite some time, unless it
did a Sendmail and went commercial and somewhere else after that.

> In 2 weeks I am back in the office and will have more time to devote
> to fun :-) stuff. I'd like to move the list to qmail, which is
> auto-activing, threading etc..

I did have to tell Listproc to keep the References: header to keep the
threads, though.

--Carlos V.
+
++ Vanilla-l Mailing List ++