Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

RE: [VANILLA-LIST:2431] Freeing other team's slots

> From: Carlos Y. Villalpando [mailto:unbelver@brain.jpl.nasa.gov]
> These two comments from the PROJECTS file:
>
>         - jammed slots on other teams?  Can they be ejected?
>
> and from Tom
>
>         - either captain should be able to free non-live
> slots on either team
>           [high]
>
> I haven't seen any comments on these either way.
>
> Personally, I think its dangerous.  Definitely out of the question in
> pickup.  There's already enough complaints about eject abuse without
> adding to the fire.
>
> INL, I don't know. Debatable I can personally see the INL council
> having to rule on a bad eject or two that changed the course of the
> match.

Well....

The only situation that this would be an issue for would be if the other
team captain needed to be removed.  Otherwise the other team captain would
be the one issuing frees.

 I can envision at least two situations for this:
- some rogue captain has taken command of the federation!
- the fed captain has lost his connection

For the second one the ghostbust code will take care of it.

For the first, hmm... how often does this happen?  I think Holub mentioned
Fugitive did this once in a pickup game, otherwise it's not that common.

 As far as abuse.  Well the feature has always been part of the INL server.
I don't know how much abuse there has been.

I'm ambivalent.  I don't think it's needed, but I can see a few situations
were it might be nice.

Steve