Vanilla List Maling List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2200] Ouch

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 08:24:39PM +0100, Kurt Siegl wrote:

> sprintf is a huge performance leak as well. In COW we replaced all time
> critical sprintf calls with hand coded string utilities which helped a lot.

I don't think it is as important in the server.  Aside from the fact that
computers are getting ever faster (any Sparc IPC's or 386-16 PC's out there?),
the only significant usage of sprintf in the server is the messaging.  If
we ever get around to redoing the entire messaging system, we could make it
more efficient, but I don't see any real reason to change existing sprintf
code to string utils if all it saves is a few microcpuseconds each call.

I am in favor of sacrificing some performance for better code and ANSI/POSIX
compliance.  Portability and GPP is more important than hand optimized code
that lets us run the server on an obsolete box.

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2