Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2740] That CLOAK_MAXWARP thing and a note about features

Quoting Tom Holub <doosh@best.com>:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 02:57:42PM -0800, Carlos Y. Villalpando wrote:
>
> > The only thing I can think of is that
> > it is a redunant flag just in case the cloak packet was lost.
>
> That's exactly what it is.

Thanks for the hint.

> It's possible that a later edition of short_packets also started
> including this information, making the cloak_maxwarp kludge redundant.

On quick read, I believe this is true for send_short < 2.  sndFlags()
is called whenever updateShips() is called, and sndFlags() includes
the PFCLOAK flag in all its invocations.  I'll give it a few more
readings to be sure.

Ok. read some more code and other's responses and for send_short < 2,
the flags are always sent.  For send_short > 2 flags are sent in
sendVPlayers() in struct player_s2_spacket field LONG
flags. sendVPlayers() is called from updateShips().

I believe.

You know James, maybe you're right and it isn't a bad idea to go
through the code and make some understandable documentation of the
server.  Stuff like c<->s communications, internal state machines,
game flow, etc.  I think I'll make that into one of my projects.

Quoting Trent Piepho <xyzzy@speakeasy.org>:

> So the CLOAK_MAXWARP line in the .features file didn't do anything?
> That does seem pretty broken.

I went ahead and changed it so all the server side features are
settable via .features.

> When the puck travels at warp 15 or 31, it will no longer cloak.

Is that a hockey mode thing or a player g thing?  If its a player g
thing, keep in mind that one of the PROJECTS is to increase the
MAX_PLAYER count and puck may not be player g anymore.

Quoting James Cameron <quozl@us.netrek.org>:

> My pet gripe is that ships arriving at a starbase under transwarp cloak
> for a short time.  Will what you have done fix this?

Yes. Its that magical transition of warp 15/31/(speed & 15) == 15,
etc.  If you turn off CLOAK_MAXWARP in the .features file.

The server does nothing with the feature other than send it to the
client.

And on a related note, I actually thing that setting the speed to <any
arbitrary number> for a cloaked player is actually a good idea for the
server to do.  Its already masking position/direction/flags.  Why not
speed as well.

--Carlos V.