Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:3093] clientkeys, metaserver down

Quoting Karthik Arumugham <karthik@arumugham.com>:

> One of the two metaservers (run by Carlos I believe) seems to be down, as
> well as clientkeys.netrek.org appears to be on the same machine
> (128.149.33.188).

Its back up since 11 am PDT.

On Saturday, we had a network outage in my building as we are upgrading
to a multi-Gig capable backbone with Gig-to-the-desktop options.
Well, a couple of my machines (not the metaserver) didn't come
up. (they're 10mb 1/2 duplex and for some odd reason, the new Cisco
switches think they're 100mbs full duplex.  Old Suns) Even though I
told everybody that this would be happening and there was nothing
anybody could do, one of my bright-light users who just HAD to work on
the weekend, decided to see if he could speed up the process by POWER
CYCLING MY MAIN SERVER! (which also happens to be the metaserver).  He
broke my #1 commandment that I tell everyone before I give them an
account.  It took a while to repair the damage he did.  Thank goodness
for backups. (message on machine: "hey carlos, the machines are down."
Well Duh!)

He's lucky I haven't seen him around yet.

--Carlos V.