Re: (ASCEND) Radius Accounting fails (Summary)

Just to note, that our problems gone, a summary of the relevant
info:

  - The ultimate reason for the problem was, that the radacct
    port was blocked. It seems the port wasn't released when
    the old radiusd process died. I'd consider this a bug of
    the OS (Solaris 2.4).
  - Result was that the radiusd couldn't grab port radacct.
    I don't know whether this is detectable or not (doesn't
    bind fail in such cases?), but considering the possible
    bug of the OS, I can well imagine that it wasn't: Indeed
    the radacct port appeared twice in the output of netstat.
  - The problem vanished as soon as we rebooted the machine.
  - A Telebit Netblazer was still accounting fine. It turned
    out, that the Netblazer was using port radius and not
    port radacct. On one hand I am happy that the radiusd is
    accepting packets on this port (indeed, what's the reason
    for two different ports?), but if he's configured to accept
    packets on both ports, I wonder whether he shouldn't log a
    warning in that case. If this would have been the case,
    I wouldn't have assumed that the problem would be our
    Ascend routers configuration.
  - Reason for the logfile entries was a misconfiguration of
    our Ascend routers: We had "Called Require" and not "Called
    Prefer" under Ethernet->Answer->Id Auth.

My special thanks to Joel Wittenberg of Ascend for being of great
help. I think that'll be a reason to recommend Ascend routers in
the future. :-)

Bye,

Jochen

--
Jochen Wiedmann						joe@ispsoft.de
"How could this be a problem in a country where		+49 7123 14887