Re: (ASCEND) 6.1.24 and DPNSS/DASS2

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Jill Bell wrote:

> I have a 4060, a 4000 and a 6000 all now running 6.1.24 Each has 2 PRIs
> and 64 modems - we have no ISDN calls.
>
> They are connected to an Ericcson MD110 telephone switch running
> software level 7.2. The interfaces are DPNSS which I think is the same
> as DASS2
>
> We waited for 6.1.24 because of modem retraining problems in earlier
> releases.
>
> All looked well until about a week after the upgrade to 6.1.24 when the
> PRIs stop working at random. The telephone switch supervisor says that
> the PRI is in 'blocked' mode. Sometimes the whole PRI goes into the
> blocked mode sometimes it is individual channels.
>
> Does anyone else out there have either
>
> a) a similar problem

Maybe.  An e-load of 6.1.24 had been running _very_ happily in a 4000 for
over a week and then Telstra upgraded the exchange feeding two of the
PRIs.  The key point seems to have been the resultant re-start of the PRIs
from their side: they didn't come back :-(

The MAX was showing both PRIs as LA, but no calls were being presented
(indeed dialing the phone# got a busy or related tone).  Disabling and
re-enabling the PRIs fixed this.

According to Telstra, the upgrade process involves the exchange sending
one or more of "Global channel restart" "all-interface restart" "Multiple
channel restart".  Speculating, it may be that the exchange didn't get
back the response it expects/needs from this restart.

Apart from this one incident (which affected two PRIs _identically_),
6.1.24e23 has been just fine.

> b) 6.1.24 working with an Ericsson MD110?

Definitely not.  My experience is with Telstra PRI running ETSI-ISDN
protocol - but, it might be fed off an Ericsson AXE (I can probably check
if it's worthwhile).

HTH,
Neale.