Re: (ASCEND) How Ascend should fix thier software problem

Marc Newman wrote:
]
]There is only one answer possible:
]
]Ascend should open thier source tree to the public domain.
]
]They have been ineffective in implementing changes (almost everything is
]broken when they first release it) and it takes several releases to fix
]anything.  I still, after 4 years, 3 revs of modem cards (28800, 33600 and
]56kb) and untold versions of software don't have a stable release of
]software for my Max4004's.  I have been fighting with them on this since
]4.3.

I think there are less drastic solutions that would really improve
things.  I personally really like vendors that have a model that
keeps the "code trees" seperate for "features" and "fixes".  Something
like:

7.0   New release
7.01, 7.02, 7.03, 7.04,.... "fixes"....no new features
7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4,....     new "features"
8.0                         roll all "fixes" and "features" together,
                            and start over as above.

Depending on your situation you can either follow along the "fixes"
tree for stability, or jump into the "features" tree if there's something
you really need.

My biggest complaint with Ascend is that each new release contains
both "fixes" and "features", and it seems that new problems
always seem to get introduced.... you can't get "fixes" from Ascend
without gettting "features".