Re: (ASCEND) Problem with pipeline 130 ISDN

> I have a Pipeline 130 that just started having problems dialing out on the
> 2nd ISDN channel. (The unit is configured with 2 connections, one for each of
> the B channels.) When hung up or reset the unit will dialout normally on the
> first channel but won't even attempt dialing out on the 2nd. If I go to the
> terminal server prompt and run "test <number>", I get this error: "Error:
> can't handshake". A "show isdn" will give back the following:
>
> NL: CALL REQUEST: 56K, #2125551234
> NL: CALL CONNECTED  B2  #2125551234
> NL: CLEAR REQUEST: B2
> NL: CALL CLEARED WITH CAUSE: 16  B2  #2125551234
>
> One peculiar thing about this is that the line is attempting to connect at 56k
> when the configuration for this connection is set to 64k.

The 'test' command expects to connect from one channel to another channel
on the same box. On a Max you can do it if there are at least two channels
available. On a Pipeline, of course, this means that there must be no
connections active before you do it. Basically, you are supposed to dial
your own phone number.

Having said this, the 'test' command remains a useful tool even if you
don't dial your own phone number, but you have to bear in mind that messages
like 'error: wrong phone number' and 'can't handshake' probably mean the
call successfully connected but the Ascend didn't see the loopback it
expected. Only 'call failed' usually means the call really failed.

After having done 'test', you should do a 'show isdn' (like you did) to
see what happened to that call. You can see that it cleared with cause
16 (normal clearing), which is further evidence that the channel was able
the place an outgoing call.

The default for the 'test' command is to place a 56k call. You can append
"data-svc=xxx" to the test command line to use a different data service.
You can use any of the values that are valid options to the "Data Svc"
parameter in the menus (i.e. 64k, voice, modem, 56k, etc...):

test 1234567890 data-svc=64k

-Phil