Re: (ASCEND) Question about Multi IP addr NAT

Nelson,

I run about 24 P75s as remote LANs each with an average of 4-6 workstations
connected to a minihub which is connected to the P75.  I am using DHCP on
the P75 and have configured a pool of IP addresses.  This has always worked
well for me and I highly recommend it.

Your problem sounds like a TCP/IP addressing problem.  Make sure the
network mask assigned to the Pipe75 properly reflects the subnet
configuration and make sure that the IP address pool reflects addresses
associated with the subnet being used.

For example, if you are using a 28bit subnet, you will have a maximum of 14
usable IP addresses.  Assume you are using the network 192.168.44.x, assign
the first usable IP address(192.168.44.1) to the Pipeline then assign the
next 10 address to the DHCP modem pool on the Pipe75 as follows:

(ethernet>modconfig>dhcpspoofing)
 DHCP spoofing=yes
Renewal time=600
become default router=yes
always spoof=yes
validate IP = yes
maximum no reply wait=15
IP Group 1=192.168.44.2
Group 1 count = 10

With this configuration, up to ten workstations can be assigned an IP
address dynamically.  There are three remaining addresses in this network
and I reserve them for static assignement to printers.

I also support home offices that have only a single workstation connected
to a Pipe75.  Since these staff also travel to other locations, I want them
to use DHCP everywhere they go.  On the Pipe75 in their home I use the same
configuration as above except I use a 30bit subnet mask and assign the
first of the two available addresses to the Pipe75 then assign the second
address to the pool as shown above except that I assign a group count of 1
and set "validate IP" to no (this is important because the Pipe will not
assign the IP address properly if there is only one address in the pool and
validate IP is set to yes).

Again, I have been using this configuration successfully for more than 18
months.

If you would like to talk more offline, email me directly at
"mitchell.arnone@occ.treas.gov"

Mitch
Original Text