Re: (ASCEND) TNT -- Full duplex Ethernet?

>From: Steve Rothanburg <srothan@bandit.soc.lib.md.us>
>
>Of course we still don't know why neither TNT can handle the traffic
>load on it shelf controller ethernet port. After all, when they sold
>us our first TNT they didn't even have ethernet cards to sell and up
>until 2 weeks ago everything was fine. It was only seeing a total of
>around 4megs of traffic at peak utilization and the load hasn't
>changed that much in the last few months.

Ascend has always warned against using the shelf controller Ethernet
for heavy loads. From the manual:

"All MAX TNT systems have an Ethernet port on the shelf controller.
This Ethernet port is designed for out-of-band management and light
traffic loads.
It is not intended to be the primary Ethernet interface for the
system. If your MAX TNT will be routing heavy Ethernet traffic, use
an Ethernet card."

I'd say that 4 Mbps on a 10 Mbps Ethernet is a heavy load, as you can
expect some collisions at that level of utilization.

I always assumed that Ascend just wanted us to buy Ethernet cards,
but I think your experience proves that it was fair warning.

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/