Re: (ASCEND) inconsistent subnet mask

>  > Does anyone know what might cause this to happen ?
> > I have ISDN users going into one MAX4004 (6.1.24), and
> dialup users going
>  > into another MAX4002(6.1.24). The ISDN users have static
> IP addresses, and
>  > the dial up are DHCP (max is the dhcp server). My Openview
> machine reports
> > inconsistent subnet mask on different users every day.
> (about 15 times a
> > day).

I have seen similar effects with Windows95 clients. Although they are
given 255.255.255.0 as a subnet mask by our Unix bootp/DHCP  server,
they actually store 255.255.255.255 as their mask. Openview presumably
polls the subnet a few times a day and reports the inconsistancies. In
my case as everything was working ok, and not affecting anything else, I
got Openview to log the fault in the logs rather than display it in the
events log that appears on screen. That way you have to info if you need
to refer to it in the future.

Jill