(ASCEND) Modem disconnects

I've recently switched to Ascend Max 4048's... I'm getting away from PM-3's
as I had many many disconnection problems...

Anyway, now that I'm running the Max 4048's I'm still having a few customers
with disconnect problems.  In fact, the people that are having trouble
staying connected to the Max did not have trouble connecting to the
PM-3's...

Disconnect codes are 185's and 11's...

I've looked up the explanation of code 185 and 11, but I'm wondering if
there is a solution for these issues?  Will a modem firmware upgrade do it
in most cases?  Or are there specific modems to avoid?  What modems should I
recommend to users who want to purchase new modems?

Thanks for any help...

Brian Sullivan
brian@polnow.net