Re: crossfire problem/idea

Happy new year ,Merry Christmas etc ..etc .. to y'all!

Kjetil Homme wrote:

> Someone else (sorry, can't remember who!) on the list suggested
> something like this, he called one set of maps a campaign. There could
> be many characters in a campaign, but a character could not be in many
> campaigns. I think this is a *great* idea, but it will use quite some
> disc space...

Why not introduce something like the lp-mud system of keeping scores
of quests/campaigns/adventures?
My suggestion :
A quest/adventure would be a "chain" of maps leading to a common goal/map.
(Well...nothing new about this :)  )
Here ,the treasure should be located (f.eks artifacts).When the artifact
is taken ,or maybe when you turn a handle to enter this room ,you would
be marked as of have "solving" the quest.

I also think that there should be ways to keep only a single player from
solving a quest.Maybe a handle that requires several players to be on
that map? (The "House of Confusion" is a good example that you don't
actually need this ,though).

This probably means that one should give the map designers more freedom,
like giving them the rights to put out single items/artifacts.I know this
creates a big risk of ruining this game ,by simply making things to easy
to access/get ... Maybe a adventure/"chain of maps" should be approved
before beeing added to the game?

(Digression: We norwegians have a long tradition of allowing somebody
 to control what the rest should see,do and say - in the interest of the
 greater good ;) )

Though the Map editor is usable at the moment ,I think one should do
something about the "list" of items available to be placed out.My theory
is that the better (and more "friendly") the editor gets,the better maps
you get...maybe?. Possibly one could group the items (artifacts,weapons etc)
and present the items in _groups_ to the map maker..

I like crossfire ,because it combines a arcade/action game with a multiplayer
adventure game.. The problem, is that the "personal" relation to the
monster/bad guy kind of gets drowned in the sheer numbers of monsters...
Maybe one should try to limit the numbers of monsters in the game,and rather
make them tougher? That would of course mean that monsters shouldn't regenerate
so quickly...

Oh well .. I guess this letter turn out to be just another whining session,
with me complayning and not contributing with a patch ... hmmm ... maybe
I'll write one in Simula instead .. not a bad idea .. or SUN Pascal ..
where they put that manual ...

					-Lars