Re: resurrection--how it SHOULD have worked :(

From: Peter Mardahl <peterm@soda.berkeley.edu>

> Okay, there's apparently lots of confusion on the resurrection
> spells.

Maybe not confusion, just no info :)

> raise-dead:  requires a corpse and a .dead file.

> resurrection:  requires a corpse and a .dead file, but doesn't exact
> as much of an experience penalty and leaves stats alone.

I think that stats should be lost for ever, but this again requires
some more code.

> The immunity was how I later checked for player-corpseness.

Who talks kludges now :)

> Bad ideas:  saving all the information necessary to resurrect a plyer
> in the corpse/gravestone:  uh, when dead, a player becomes an object.

The biggest problem with .dead files currently for me was that you could
make new character with same name that .dead characher was and nothing
deleted those dead files. No problem if it was just a bug. I thought that
player information could be saved in file, which would work as a lock file.
Yes, same effect.

> Also, lose the gravestone to a crash, you lose the person forever.
> No recalling him then.  seems very unfair to me.

Idea was that they are saved separately, so possibilities losing them
keeps the same. And crossfire shouldn't crash :). And there don't seems
any possibilities die permanently with your system, no good either, IMHO.
I like the idea of resurrection WITH some random change to fail. And not
making it too easy, either.

All these graveyard stuff was only possibilities using the bank/inn-
code give some more colour the crossfire, and I myself like it a lot.
And when players makes gravestones themself, you only need to offer
good map to put them. :)

I like more that when player dies there is only corpse and some random
stuff from players inventory (like currently). Player who finds corpse
can carry it a way and use raise dead/resurrect spell to take player
back to life. If corpse is inserted map, which is reseted, there aren't
those special cases, just check the free squares.

So only difference between your system and my prososal is reincarnation
spell and with my proposal you could kill server between dying/resurrection
(corpse is save). Maybe it's only me who feels that reincarnation is too
powerful i.e. if you have any character who can cast reincarnation, you
don't need worry about that you died between who big dragons.

Thanks your comments, cleared many things!

And very happy that you fix resurrect part :).

I'm more interesting making inns working and that shouldn't be that
big project. More comments are always welcome !

 -Tero