graveyards

  Inserting gravestones permanently into maps might be fun, but
I can't see any straightforward way to do it.  The advantage of
the resurrection system I installed, is that it involves changes to
only 2 places in player.c, no screwing with map code, and three
new spells.  the only things changed about player.c was the login
routine, which checks to make sure you're not trying to use the same
name as a .dead player, and in the actual death part, where instead
of getting erased, you're saved without stuff and moved to .dead,
and a corpse with your name is inserted into the map.

  All this map hacking proposed may be lots of fun, but it is a very
big project, and I'm very leery of screwing with the maps with the
server.  I don't trust the server not to mess up and stick gravestones
in bad places.  We all know about how stable the server is.

  Also, gravestones in the map may be stuck in bad places.  What if
someone dies on a button?  Uh, you insert a gravestone on a button.
This leads to a nightmare of special case code--no gravestones in doorways,
on buttons, near grates, covering important signs......

  I like the idea of a graveyard, and an easy way to implement it would
be to read all the .dead files around, and give gravestones with those
names.....

Regards,

PeterM

P.S., I'll fix all the resurrection problems ASAP and add a mode
where no .dead files are made.  I didn't foresee people seeing
deleting .dead files regularly as a chore--I was planning to
do it in a crontab.

I'm sorry about all the bugs, all I can say is I'm sorry, and that
it was working fine once.  I'll fix it as soon as I can manage.