Death options

> >Look in config.h, you can use NOT_PERMADEATH compiler option.  It really
> >makes the game more fun, while still enforcing a penalty for dying.

I agree some degree, since players can explore new maps without too
much to loose. Also it doesn't make players so angry when you find
that there is one way exit which leads to next to titan. But if you
assume that maps are sensible so that you can guess what level monsters
are assumemed then penalty is not so big. For low level players get
their exp back very easily, so loosing stat point is only penalty.
If they die on low levels many times then poor stats start affecting,
but in that point they probably want try another race. For high level
players amount of exp doesn't really matter and buying one potion
is really easy.

> > I did the resurrection spells, and I don't even use them.  They
> >haven't been tested in a long time and might be buggy....

The last time I looked code there was some problems, but it was
long time ago.

>    Kool.  I didn't investigate runes that much yet.  But this is certainly
> an elegant way to do it.

Yes it can probably implemented already in map level, so new code
isn't needed.

>    The issue would be to standardize the face area so that user can
> also add/change things such as:
> 1. face shape
> 2. eye color
> 3. hair style
> 4. perhap limited positioning of the eyes,nose,ears and mouth
> But allow the emote program to change the shape/position of eyes,nose,
> ears,mouth,etc.. to reflect smiling, frowning, etc...

I think this is a little too complicated. Much simpler would have face
arrays each player. Each array would contain eight 24x24 bitmaps. So
players could define different bitmaps for different emotes (assumed
that there aren't too many of them). At least result should look much
better. But implementing player defined images needs quite much code
and maybe it's better leave to client/server version like peterm
said.

>>>   Finally, how about providing the player with an option of whether to die
>>>and loose exp+stat or to be raised.  Maybe a permdeath bool.  I would think
>>>high level players (capable of casting raise spells) would like to be raise

What is really needed is some thought about handling death, IMHO.
The not permanentdeath is too easy and the permanent death seems
to be too hard (althought I prefer it on local server). Resurrection
is a good middle point, but it needs some more work. So that
resurrection is possible without high level players and there
should be possible define some permanent damages. Optional failures
should affect to body or caster, not all players on same map
(if I remember right it can summon demons or something like that).

>    I'm working on it (quite nasty if all the define statements).  I'll sent
> you the patch when it is tested.

The death code is already full of #idef's so maybe there should be
simplier ways handle the death. So that server admins can choose
what death options are available to players and when player dies
(s)he can decide what to do (loose exp/wait resurrection/quit/etc).

  -Tero