Re: Problem with 0.91.4 version?

In message "Re: Problem with 0.91.4 version?",
'peterm@CSUA.Berkeley.edu' writes:

>In message <"29081 Tue Sep 20 15:52:48 1994"@bnr.ca> , "tuan (t.) doan" writes:
>>Hello,
>>
>>   Is the only way to "raise" a player is by using spell?  How about allowing
>>players to place a corpse on an altar with some money or/and items and have
>>a God raise it.
>
>You actually allow players to die for real instead of using not_permadeath?
>Look in config.h, you can use NOT_PERMADEATH compiler option.  It really
>makes the game more fun, while still enforcing a penalty for dying.

   Actually, it a setable option now.  Player can choose between the two.
We also found that drop a stat value was a little harse :-)

> I did the resurrection spells, and I don't even use them.  They
>haven't been tested in a long time and might be buggy....
>
>No altars currently will raise a dead player.  However, if you want to
>make this doable, it's likely the rune code can perform this task.
>Experiment with a Rune of Resurreciton, try to direct the Rune to where
>the dead player will be, and then have the living player step on the rune
>to activate it.  Access to the Rune can be by means of dropping Money
>on the altar, or food or whatever.  Set the level of the rune to
>be something very high, like 127.  Perhaps the sacrifice should be in
>diamonds.

   Kool.  I didn't investigate runes that much yet.  But this is certainly
an elegant way to do it.

>>   Also, I have an idea about implementing graphical faces to correspond to
>>emote commands.  For example, if a player were to smile, we draw a smiling
>>face, etc...
>
>This would be cool.  It seems a very client side sort of modification however,
>perhaps it should wait until crossfire is client/serverized.

   The issue would be to standardize the face area so that user can
also add/change things such as:
1. face shape
2. eye color
3. hair style
4. perhap limited positioning of the eyes,nose,ears and mouth
But allow the emote program to change the shape/position of eyes,nose,
ears,mouth,etc.. to reflect smiling, frowning, etc...

>>   Finally, how about providing the player with an option of whether to die
>>and loose exp+stat or to be raised.  Maybe a permdeath bool.  I would think
>>high level players (capable of casting raise spells) would like to be raise
>
>Humm.  Yeah, the resurrection spells DO exact less of a penalty in experience
>for their use.  There IS some penalty.  Also, you might lose all your stuff,
>too, I think that is part of the resurrection spell philosophy.  That is
>worse than a great deal of experience, good stuff can be very hard to
>obtain.
>
>>and lower lever players would appreciate not having to wait for someone
>>high level enough to raise them.
>
>This modification would be middling difficult.  It sounds interesting,
>but I don't foresee myself taking it up and doing it anytime soon.
>If you do this and #ifdef it, I'm sure that Mark will put it in.  I can
>give some advice about how the resurrection spells work.

   I'm working on it (quite nasty if all the define statements).  I'll sent
you the patch when it is tested.

>PeterM

Regards,

 __  __/  /   /   __  /    |   /    Tuan T. Doan
    /    /   /   /   /   / |  /     IEC Layer Testing and Advance Technology
   /    /   /   __  /   /  | /      2201 Lakeside Blvd.  P.O. Box 833871
__/  ______/ __/ __/ __/  __/       Richardson, TX 75083-3871
"It's a kind of magic" -Highlander  Phone: 6-444-4575/214-684-4575
Internet:  tdoan@bnr.ca             Fax:   6-444-3716/214-684-3716