Re: improvement scrolls

On Oct 25,  7:58pm, Arne Wichmann wrote:
> Putting away  the  walls that prevent   the Dreads and  Beholders from
> moving  in the well in  Brest would be  another evil idea. The well is
> one of  the prime  areas our players  use to  *quickly* increase their
> levels.

 Maps tend to vary in quality - some are quite good, others not as good.
 Biggest problem is most of them need to be played through to see how good they
are, so I tend to rely on reports like these to determine map quality and what
changes need to be made.

> Another  thing  were  wandering  monsters which    are  able to  cross
> entrances. Imagine Scorn full of orcs, or the fun a Dragon could cause
> outside in the landscape when it is awakened...  The first thing would
> pose some work to some 4-7th  level characters. The second thing would
> give a task to some 10-15th level characters...

 Would require a fair amount of code re-writing.  The biggest problem I see is
tough monsters wandering into areas where they should not be.  For example,
suppose a bunch of tough monsters wander into scorn - this could very well make
the game unplayable for many people (new characters might get killed before
they can get to safety.  Even saved characters might be trapped in the inn, and
if they leave, they die..)

 And the bigger problem is that if they do die, they appear back in scorn,
where they might quickly be killed again (this assumes that NOT_PERMADEATH is
used.)

> Hmmm... A side idea... Use n-th level player corpses for weapon
> enchantment to get a *really* violent crossfire. ;-)

 This would then depend on how the game is compiled.  I use the NOT_PERMADEATH
rules - this seems to actually work out quite nicely.  Even with that, I see
very few high level characters around on the server here.  At low levels,
losing that stat is quite painful, and at high levels, the loss of experience
can easily be a couple levels, which is also very painful.

--
 --Mark