Re: improvement scrolls

> Indeed. A good start would be to reduce the maximum stat to 20 give or
> take the class differences. Ie., a barbarian has maximum 14
> intelligence, but 24 strength. Rings and other magical equipment can
> give "unrestricted" bonuses (probably 30 in total).

Those maximums are already used regarding the stat potions (your max stat is 20
+/- class penalties.)

 If this value is limited to things that include all bonuses, then many items
use their usefulness (straight 30 stats are pretty much unacheivable).

 It can be pretty safely assumed that under limits, a character will max
himself out to the best he can with the potions (in most cases, this will mean
an average of about 20).  If those max are now hard limits, any stat increasing
items are now useless to the character

 One problem is that most of the stat start to get huge bonuses after 20 or 25.
 A int of 30 vs 28 can easily be several hundred spellpoints, and hitpoints can
be similar.

 IT may be reasonable to balance out the stats a bit.  Thus, the 30 is still
nice, but does not become an incredible gain compared to a 28.  And the gain
from 25 to 30 would be about hte same as from 20 to 25.

> And get rid of the possibility to have more than one stat improvement
> spell active at any one time. Okay, maybe allow _different_ stat
> improvement spells, but never the +18 strength or charisma you can get
> now :-( [Today, charisma only serves as a tax on newbies who haven' t
> got the charisma spell yet]
>
> It used to be like this, and I think it's much better -- there's more
> of a distinction between classes.

 Charisma is an odd stat - at the with the skill code, it gets put to some
better use.  But without skill code, charisma has no real use other than for
selling and buying items.  Once you get the charisma spell, or if you make a
bank character, you no longer care.  Charisma has already been evened out a bit
more once - perhaps it should be redone again so that the costs you get for
different charismas is even less (maybe just a percent or so for point of
difference?)  Thus, high charisma is still useful (added with skills), but
having a low charisma doesn't hurt that much?

 As for spells, they are useful for getting up to about 20 or so, no matter how
many times you cast it.  Maybe the best you can get via spells should be
lowered to 20 no matter what (right now I think you can get 22 or 23 if you try
hard enough..)

--
 --Mark