Re: CF: Crossfire server and edit help

Bradley Eng-Kohn (beng-kohn@health.org) wrote:
> I finally got crossfire up and running.  Are there any resources available
> for those running a server, or creating new content? Everything I find is
> for playing the game.

Nope. These things (not complete) come to mind:
a) don't use checksums (makes adiminstration more difficult)
b) be sure to remove *.l01 files from lib/unique-items after a crash
c) put the server into a loop
d) be careful with compile-time options (try to take into account what
   it means for new players as well as for experienced players etc.).
e) be very careful with new maps --- check for "bad" items before
   making them avaiable to the public (you can play the maps by using
   the 'goto command, but non-dm people can't get in).
f) be prepared to deal with unfriendly people (hasn't really happened on
   my server, but one never knows). I changed Scorn to include a "prison"
   (unholy ground, no way out, bed to reality, 500 waybreads) so I can
   summon people into there just in case :-)
   Be careful to keep the balance --- don't be too strict.
g) try to become familiar with the internal workings of crossfire ---
   why are maps restted when the server crashes? Why do apartments reset?
   Etc
h) be helpful --- if someone is hit by the water bug and doesn't have
   dimension door and word of recall, summon him out of there.

Other than that, I don't really know what to say right now; feel free to
ask if you have specific problems.

As for creating new maps: it takes time, and ideas. Don't add overly
powerful items. Try to add some fun and puzzles --- there are enough
"press ctrl key until you reach the end of the map"-type maps.
I have plans for new maps, but right now I'm very busy with exams;
and after that it will take time. The editor is not that great, and some
things are generally difficult to do in crossfire (keep in mind that cf
is more like an action game).

Avoid abusive places --- 100 Jessies would be great to get exp, but
it would be abusive. If you want to do it, reduce the exp of the monsters.
This is just an example, of course.

Be careful when creating maps --- for example, don't forget spells such
as show invisible, dimension door or earth to dust.

CHristian