Re: CF: FBBB v1.01 is now up

Maciej Kalisiak wrote:
> Lots of nice little gems, plucked from some many useful letters. Keep
> 'em coming.
>
> http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~mac/cf-fbbb.html

I like the idea of starting with the "very basic" tips and then having
other categories for more specific tips.  But maybe you could also
separate these categories in basic tips and normal tips?  For example,
the comment about how to spot a magic store (in "Magic and Religion")
would have an icon showing that it is a tip for absolute beginners,
while the difference between cursed and damned items can be left for
more advanced beginners (whatever that means).

Some more (basic) tips:
- If you start playing CrossFire with a new character, do not try to
  explore the areas outside the city until you are at least level 5.
  Start with the beginners' areas as listed on one of the signs that
  are next to your starting point.
- Be careful when you are in a tavern.  People do not like to be
  pushed around.  Try to walk straight instead of bumping into them,
  because they get angry when some stranger has some bad manners and
  they might ask a guard to kick you out.
- It is usually not a good idea to kill sages, librarians and people
  drinking in a tavern, because some of them have interesting stories
  to tell.  Try starting a conversation by saying "hello" or asking
  them for a "quest" and see if they reply.  If they do not reply or
  they always reply with the same message, try with someone else.
- If you encounter a monster that is much more powerful than you, it
  is usually better to stay away from these big beasts.  If it is not
  too late to go back to the map you came from, then run away before
  you are fried, frozen or cut in pieces.  The monsters will not
  follow you on other maps.
- Some monsters can attack you with acid at close range.  Be careful
  when you fight these creatures, because the acid can damage your
  equipment (permanently).
- If you are poisoned by a monster, try to find a cure (potion or
  spell) as soon as possible.  The effects of the poison are only
  temporary, but during that time you become weaker and you are
  loosing your health slowly.  This can be fatal for a low-level
  character.
- Do not assume that something that you drop on the floor will stay
  there forever.  Some monsters (blobs, vampires and others) have the
  annoying habit of picking up everything they find on their path.

By the way, I implemented the "tip of the day" feature in the GIMP
some time ago.  Do you think that it would be worth adding such a
thing to the GTK client?

Oh, and please use "quinet@gamers.org" as my e-mail address in the
credits on your FBBB page.  The address I am using now is my work
address because this is convenient for me, but I prefer to have my
"non-work" address on web pages.  Thanks.

-Raphaël