Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: CF: mouseless play

On Apr 20, Mark Wedel wrote:
> John Kraft wrote:
> >
> > I'm playing solo on a notebook sometimes, and the mouse is a
> > pain to use.  the worst place is looking thru piles of things
> > on the ground.  Is there any way to page thru or rotate a pile
> > on the ground?  Or any other tips for getting by with as little
> > mousing as possible?
>
>  I don't think the original designed envisioned mouseless operation.
>
>  The newest version is 0.95.3, and it would certainly be possible to extend the
> client some to allow scrolling of the inventory and look via keyboard (add some
> client side command which the player can bind to a key if desired.)
>
>  This doesn't help out on a lot of the other options (pickup, drop, apply, etc)
> still pretty much rely on selection via the mouse.
>
>  So probably at best, the need to use the mouse can be reduced, but not
> completely eliminated at current time.
> -

I should learn gtk (:  I envision a client where you can somehow
change your focus to the different areas (inventory, look, map, and
text) or maybe even change focus with windowmanager if you're in split
mode..

in the look and inventory windows, there would be a selection box for
selecting items (for mark, drop, use, whatever), with all the standard
things like shift-select extends it, ctrl-select toggles an item's
selectedness, etc.

in the map window, everything works like "normal"

in the text window, you type commands (no ' ).  pageup/dn to access
the scrollback.

kindof like how now, a single-quote makes it so that your input is
considered to be making up commands rather than moving around.  I just
want to extend that to the inventory and look windows.  (:

--
John Kraft
jkraft@jps.net